A sprain is a torn or stretched ligament. Ligaments connect the bones at a joint and help to keep the bones from altering out of actual place.
Most common injury is ankle sprain. This may happen suddenly when you twist the ankle too far, when you fall, or when you force the bone joint from out of its position. Most of the ankle sprains will happen during the sports activities or running or when walking on an uneven field. Usually such sprains result from the poor preconception, ligament laxity, inadequate rehabilitation from previous injury, and muscle weakness.
This is a very common injury in teens who are athletes and also in non-athletes. It happens when ankle support ligament get overly torn or stretched. Ankle sprain can happen when you slip walking, put down the weight on your feet awkwardly, or when you step in the hole.
Most of the sprained ankles are very minor injuries, which can be healed with proper treatment, but others can be very serious.
Good balance, strength and flexibility can be helpful in preventing the ankle sprained from occurring. If you lack of these characteristics, doctor may suggest you to wear an ankle or tape the ankle when you are performing exercise.
The best way to prevent ankle sprains is keeping the ankle flexible and leg muscles as strong. Your doctor, PE teacher, or coach can give some home exercises in order to build the strength of muscles and flexibility of the joint.
Here are some tips to avoid ankle sprained:
• Always do warm up exercises and then use the advised stretching techniques for the ankle before exercising, playing sports, or doing any kind of physical activity.
• Using ankle braces, high topped shoes, or tape may be helpful for the patients who are prone to the ankle sprains.
• Observe your step while running or walking on cracked or uneven surfaces.
• Do not overdo the things. If you are fatigued or tiered, this can make an ankle sprain more likely. Stop, or slow down what you are doing, or try to take additional care to observe your step whenever you are tired.
• In the past if you’ve had ankle sprain, make sure that completely it is healed prior you are trying any physical activity.
• Purchase good shoes, which can fit to your feet properly, and maintain them securely fastened or tied when you are going to wear them. One of the biggest causes of sprained ankles in women is wearing the high heeled shoes. So try to reduce the heel of the shoe.
• Include prehab exercises into your daily regimen. They would help in strengthening the stabiliz